Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Meet them where they are

     As an American, it is in our nature to want to help people and fix problems. I believe this to be true as a man also, per my wife women want to vent, not always looking for a solution! To me that seems absurd but to many women, they can get through a situation by simply talking. What if this is true to the lost people out there? Now I'm not saying we don't share Christ with the lost in our lives, but what if we focus more on building a relationship/ friendship with people, being God honoring in our walk and allowing the Lord to do the work in their hearts.
     As I have spoken with 4 different Mayan pastors and asked them what their biggest needs were, I was bombarded with the building projects, the "things" that required money! It was very difficult for me to not interrupt them and side track them. After listening for about 15 minutes and nonchalantly ignoring the questions of "Broda Danny, can you help us, or, Can your peoples help us get dese churches built or finished?" Two things, let me tell you all, the Lord is growing my patience daily and daily ridding me of left over lingering anger, because I despise being called DANNY!! However, my love for these pastors and churches outweighs my irritation of that name.
     After listening to concerns, I asked them some simple questions that resulted in silence from the two pastors in my truck, "So your churches are growing how you would like them too? Your church leadership is doing good?" Then I started getting to some meat and taters versions of what life is really like in these Mayan villages. I think they were just as shocked for me to ask the question as I was to hear their responses. Men's outreach/ bible studies is non existent, the women are the main congregation along with children and they get that little jolt of extra when the one maybe two missions teams comes into town. These guys are hungry down here and want their entire village hungry for the Lord.
     I am not Seminary trained, college educated, or any leadership of any kind. I actually enjoy that fact because for my personality and past, it keeps me humble when speaking with these guys. I have lead men's bible studies in the past and know how difficult tasks can be at times. I would like to have further training one day, but for now God knows what He is doing by putting this sinner right where I am! Please join me in prayer as I put together bible studies, as well as continue to get over a multitude of sins in my life so I can better lead my own family to a Christ driven, Christ purposed life.
     I will be learning more about the Buddhist culture and "religion" as the Lord has really been burdening me with this and revealing just how many Buddhist there are here. I would like to be able to have one or more local pastors or church leaders with me as I start down that road so pray for the Lord to open those hearts as well. Outreach is not common place here and if you are not related to someone in "this" church, well they don't know what to do it seems. We welcome any materials you can email or mail as well as if any one is looking for a summer vacation, man have we the place for you!
     Begging for humility and brokenness in Christ alone in Belize!

No comments:

Post a Comment